Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Socially awkward.

I am socially awkward, I admit it. I can sometimes have a hard time speaking one on one, but put me in front of a few hundred people and I have no problem speaking. It's weird I know, but it is how God wired me. God wired the church to be a certain way too, it makes us socially awkward, but there is a reason for it. 

Certain social topics that are no longer up to debate is making the church look even more socially awkward than it should. According to society, homosexuality is ok, gay marriage is ok and now changing gender is ok. These topics are spilling over into the church and the church is not reacting well

I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist, or sociologist. I cannot speak to someone’s mental state. I do not have the educational background to speak about why people make certain choices. 

What I am is a pastor, a Christ-follower, who has been called upon to share the Gospel, to make disciples and help lead some of God’s sheep. 

So a few random thoughts. First, we should never start a sentence with, “Well I believe…” without being able to back it up with scripture. Are there times that we may not find the answer in scripture? Sure, but those are few and far between.  If we seek a truthful answer, God will provide it.  And, by the way, we should be prepared for the answer. In other words, be prepared to admit you were wrong.

Second, let’s be consistent. I am floored by the number of people who voice their opinions about a mistake a Christian makes and has repented for, but then will hold up someone who is clearly going against the will of God and is leading others down a sinful path. (Yes, I said clearly. There are many passages in scripture that are clear. It is what it is.) We are to abhor what is evil and hold on to what is good. Abhor doesn't necessarily mean we have to know what you are thinking. Sometimes the best way to love someone, is to just not say anything at all.

Third, my finally but not really finally, it’s easy for us to sit back and call people freaks and say how disgusted we are for their decision, but it takes someone special to go find that person, befriend them, love them and share Jesus with them. Jesus did not call the woman at the well a whore or freak. He did not call the sinners he hung out with names either. He called out the religious leaders of the day who made a mockery of their office and God’s law. 


It is not the job of a pastor, elder, deacon, Sunday school teacher, lay-leader or any Christ-follower to weave social issues into the church. It is our job to weave the Church into society in order to see people come to know Jesus Christ as Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment