Monday, January 11, 2010

The Example

Early last week, I was thinking about the college football national championship game, which was quickly approaching. I couldn’t wait to see Alabama and Texas go head to head. I like both teams, but my gut was telling me Texas was going to win. Fast forward a few days later, it’s Thursday. The game is tonight and I forgot! I know, I totally forgot about the game. Mindy and I rented the movie “my sister’s keeper”, which every parent should see. So instead of watching a bunch of guys crying over their big win or their terrible loss, I was watching a chick flick, again a good movie, trying to hold back my own tears.

I realized my grave error when I was watching the news and it was time for the sports segment. The sports anchor began to speak of the game and my heart fell to my feet. How could I forget about this big game. Suddenly, a shocking news came from the TV. Colt McCoy had been hit in the very first series and had not played since the first quarter. Alabama on top in the 4th.

I was stunned. Couldn’t believe my ears. This great quarterback and stand up Christian was now standing on the sidelines, watching everything unfold. I thought how unfair. This guy has worked hard all of his life to play at this level and to reach this moment and now all he can do is watch. Why do bad things happen to good people? What a shame.

Have you ever felt that way. Like you have worked hard for something, only to see it slip away from you. As if God was watching and He said psych, and pulled back what was dangling in front of you. Sort of like Lucy and Charlie Brown. Charlie worked hard to kick the ball. He knew he could do it. He only needed the chance. Finally the chance comes and as he is just about to kick the ball, Lucy pulls it away. I can only imagine how upset and mad McCoy must have been.

After the game a sideline reporter talked to McCoy about having to sit from the sideline in his final game and after a few seconds of silence and a few seconds of choking back the tears, out came these words.

"I always give God the glory. I never question why things happen the way they do. God is in control of my life and I know if nothing else I am standing on the rock"

All I could do was sit in amazement over the spiritual maturity of this young man. Was he upset or mad or even jealous that a freshman quarterback was where he should have been? Maybe, I am sure he felt many emotions in those few hours. However, when it came time to speak to the world about what he was feeling, he put it all in perspective. What is more important to him to hold up a trophy today or wear a crown tomorrow? He gave us the answer.

How often have we had the chance to give God the glory when times were good, when everything seemed right with the world and we had no complaints. How many times have we given God the glory for those things? I would say it is probably very rare. But what is even more rare, is for someone to give God the glory when times are tough, when we feel like everything is falling apart and nothing is going our way.

Look what James says in chapter 1, “2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

I challenge you to give God the praise not just for the good things in your life, but also the bad. When those moments come that make your world seem so bleak and dark or seem so unfair, praise God and give Him all the glory.

Have fun, Live Free, Hope Strong.

Pastor G

No comments:

Post a Comment