Friday, January 8, 2010

Snuggling with the Father

Growing up, my parents had a fondness for flea markets and antique stores, so much so that we would take drives every weekend to find the next treasure for the Cantrell household. Now of course, this meant I had to listen to their music on the way (This was before I got my first walkman cassette player!). Now at that time there was this young man from Texas named Randy Travis and he had this song that my parents just loved! It was the title track to his 1986 album, “The Storms of Life”. When that song came across the radio, I knew I was in for some serenading from my parents, who loved this tall skinny kid with the Superman curl hair cut. It was the best of times and it was the worst of times.

I thought of that song recently as we were being bombarded by all of the rain last week. One morning in particular, not only brought that song, but God into the forefront of my mind. It was about 5 o’clock in the morning, when a severe storm rolled through Sikeston. It was so strong it woke me up, which as Mindy would tell is a miracle in itself. Not only did it wake me up, it also woke the kids. Mindy went to be with Grayson, while Riley came to lay down with me. As the thunder echoed through the house and flashes of lighting lit up the bedroom, Riley continued to get closer and closer. He was seeking comfort in the storm, by getting close to his father. This made me think about the relationship we have with our heavenly Father, God.

In our lives we are met with these storms of life. Not thunderstorms, but those tough situations where even at times, there seems to be no hope. Typically, that is when we seek to become close with God. As the thunder storm of life rolls through, we try so desperately to cling and snuggle up to God, looking for that peace and comfort that we desire.

In Matthew chapter 8:23-27, there is a storm that is recorded. The high winds shook the boat and waves came crashing in all around them. The apostles woke Jesus out of his sleep, looking for peace and comfort. Jesus would calm the storm at the amazement of his disciples.

God can and does provide comfort as we seek Him in those terrifying moments of a personal storm. But did you know you don’t have to wait for a storm to get close to the Father? You can do it even when life seems perfect.

Going through a storm helps build our character, but it’s what happens when there are no storms in sight that really defines who we are as Christians. It’s during these times of good weather, that we get wrapped up in other things, rather than staying wrapped up in God. Sure, anyone can get on their knees and pray in times of a storm, because that’s when we need the most help. However, a true believer is always on their knees praying or meditating. A true believer is always searching God’s word for every answer and is always seeking His direction, not just when it seems to be most relevant.

The Psalmist wrote in chapter 59, verse 17, O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.

God loves you. Before, during and after any storm. He has and always will love you. Even when life seems perfect, it’s still a good time to seek out the peace and comfort of our Father.

Have Fun, Live Free, Hope Strong

Pastor G

No comments:

Post a Comment